Welcome to Devuan
Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd. Devuan’s stable release is now 2.0.0 ASCII. The 1.0.0 Jessie release (LTS) has moved to oldstable status. Since the declaration of intention to fork in 2014, infrastructure has been put in place to support Devuan’s mission to offer users control over their system. Devuan Jessie provided a safe upgrade path from Debian 7 (Wheezy) and Debian 8 (Jessie). Now Devuan ASCII offers an upgrade from Devuan Jessie as well as a transition from Debian 9 (Stretch) that avoids unnecessary entanglements and ensures Init Freedom.
Devuan aliases its releases using minor planet names as codenames. Devuan file names follow this release naming scheme.
|Devuan release||Suites||Planet nr.||Debian release|
This site can be mentioned as “dev dash 1 dot org” as it is reached via dev-one.org and dev-1.org.
To avoid censorship and blocks to the Internet, this website is also accessible using Tor at the address
Please download Devuan from our mirrors (which are sourced from files.devuan.org).
You can also download Devuan using our release torrent or magnet link. The torrent contains all files for a given release. You can select what files to download if you have limited bandwidth or storage. Please seed if you can (~21GB)!
- desktop-live: Explore the default Xfce desktop before installing. Can be installed easily and quickly from the live session using the
refractainstaller. Firmware is available if needed.
- netinst: All-purpose installer preferred by more experienced users for servers, minimal systems and choice of several Desktop Environments (DEs). All but the core components are downloaded during the installation process. Internet connection and available bandwidth needed. The “expert install” allows to opt out of firmware installation. A simple install will provide firmware.
- DVD: Provides more software and desktop choices than the netinst. Saves bandwidth for multiple off-line installations.
- CDROM set: Also for offline installation with a minimal XFCE desktop. Has a smaller footprint than the DVD.
- minimal-live: A full-featured console-based recovery tool with a focus on accessibility for visually-impaired and blind users. Uses the
- embedded: Ready-to-flash images suitable for various ARM boards.
- virtual: Ready-to-use qcow, vagrant and vbox images make it easy to get up and running on the Virtual Machine of your choice.
Enjoy your new Devuan system!
Distributions based on Devuan
The default desktop provided by classic installer-iso images shouldn’t be considered the only way to use Devuan on the desktop. A number of derivatives have already adopted Devuan as a base. When reviewing Devuan we do recommend taking them into consideration. They harness the power of our base distribution by targeting specific usage which is exactly what we hope to achieve with Devuan.
Please use these support channels to troubleshoot technical issues, ask questions or file a bug.
- Participate in our web forum : dev1galaxy.org
- Join the #devuan IRC channel (publicly archived)
- Follow us on Twitter: @DevuanOrg
- Subscribe to our mailing lists:
- Search our package repositories: https://pkginfo.devuan.org
- File a bug report: https://bugs.devuan.org
If you'd like to contribute to the maintenance and growth of Devuan by providing hardware, services, expertise, funding or media visibility, please use this contact email.
- Send a private email to